If you’re like me, you’re watching your figure and it’s never too early to start preparing for string bikini season. So, carbohydrates need to be kept in check. I’m always looking for healthy alternatives that I can use in classic meals. Below are five of my favorite healthy low carbohydrate alternatives. They are easy to make and extremely versatile for numerous dishes.
- Parsnips – With a similar flavor and texture to potatoes, parsnips are a great substitute. They have far fewer carbohydrates per serving.
- Swiss Chard – The leaves are great as a wrap instead of taco shells or tortillas. I prefer them to iceberg lettuce wraps because of their durability and nutrient content.
- Zoodles – A great alternative to pasta, the key here is to dry the zucchini noodles before cooking. I prefer to sear them in a pan with olive oil and spices; this gives them a texture closer to traditional noodles. You can find these precut near the produce in most grocery stores.
- Spaghetti Squash – Similar to Zoodles but they usually need less drying before cooking. Also, found in the produce section.
- Cauliflower Rice – A great substitute for rice or quinoa and will absorb most flavors you mix it with. Broccoli stem rice is also very similar if you don’t like cauliflower or are looking for another variation.