You may have found it a little curious to learn Empower has decided to affiliate with a psychotherapist. Don’t worry – there will not be group therapy sessions in the middle of the workout floor! But, attending to your mental health is definitely part of the whole package of being healthy. Your mind and spirit deserve the same amount of attention – maybe more – as what you give your body at the gym.
So, who am I? I am a psychotherapist in private practice in southwest Durham. My specialties are depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorders, and I also help people who are going through life changes, are caregivers for others, or are experiencing a physical illness, whether it is new or chronic. I am a Daring Way™ facilitator – if you haven’t heard of Brené Brown, go look her up on YouTube. I have training in yoga therapy from Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy. Finally, I am a writer: Loving Someone with Anxiety was published in 2013, and I am a blogger on PsychologyToday.com – my blog is called Partnering in Mental Health.
I was introduced to Jessica Bottesch and Ronda Williams, your fearless Empower owners, when they attended the Girls on the Run coaches training in January. I am back for my second season coaching a GOTR team at Southwest Elementary. My fitness pleasures are weight lifting and running, and I love plyometrics and TRX. I have completed three marathons and numerous shorter races. I also love to be out on my standup paddleboard during summer weekends!
How can I help you? Let me count a few of the ways:
- Wondering why you are feeling stuck in some area of your life? Have you tried everything you can think of to make changes but are not succeeding? Come talk to me to figure out the root of the problem.
- Are you finding that exercise helps some of your stress, but once you walk out the doors of Empower, the stress hits you full force again? Let’s discuss other ways you can cope and also eliminate some of the stressors.
- Is food something other than fuel? If you think food is your best friend or your enemy, how about we come up with a different plan?
- Are you in a relationship that is frustrating, tiring, or just not what you want or need? We can talk about how to work with your partner and build the relationship you are looking for.
- Are you caring for a loved one who has a physical or mental illness? Whether it is a new diagnosis or something that has been going on for years, I can offer support and psycho education.
- Are you a professional caregiver – nurse, doctor, therapist of any kind, etc.? Burnout in those professions is high – come see me before you get to that point.
- Are you struggling with motivation, whether that is in personal or professional pursuits? We can explore your roadblocks and build detours that will get you to your end destination.
I look forward to assisting the clients of Empower in living healthier lives – mind, body, and spirit. I will also be co-facilitating the Girls on the Run Stress Management, Mindfulness & Yoga workshop March 9th at the Durham location and the March 12th workshop at the Raleigh location with RJ Lisander, so please come out and say hello!
You can also visit my website at www.durhamnctherapist.com, give me a call at 919-408-7706, or find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/katethiedatherapy. All calls are confidential and you will receive a free 20-minute screening.