Tips for a Stronger. Healthier. Happier. 2014 from the EMPOWER Team:
- Find physical activity you enjoy, it’s so much easier to do when it is no longer a chore, but a hobby.
- Do not hesitate to tackle the weight room and try new techniques. If you find the weight room intimidating – let us help you get started! Sign up here for a FREE Initial Session with an expert Personal Trainer
- However, when trying new techniques and increasing weight have a professional demonstrate and spot you for safety.
- When it comes to fitness it is best to measure your success by the progress you have made not the initial outcome
- Find a workout buddy – and motivate each other.
- Focus on process goals – breaking larger goals down into smaller steps helps you stay motivated
- Prioritize daily exercise
- Focus on making progress from week to week but also consider that maintaining is better than falling behind.
- Foam roll every day – if you don’t know how consult an Empower trainer
- Move your body in a way you enjoy EVERY day
- “This One Goes to Eleven”: every once in a while go beyond what you think you can do in your routine.
- Find an enjoyable fitness activity – it makes commitment and consistency easier
- Find a “fitness friend” – challenge and be accountable to each other
- Start you day with warm and lemon – want to know how this helps your body? Sign-up for a FREE 20 Phone Consultation with our Nutritionist
- Drink a green smoothie each day – We have some great recipes for you to try. Email us
- Incorporate leafy greens into every meal
- Drink plenty of water – in fact we recommend drinking the equivalent of ½ your body weight in ounces everyday (so a 120lb person should drink 60 oz. of H2O daily)
- Replace “junk food” snacks, with fruits and veggies
- Reduce SUGAR and processed foods in your diet –and I don’t just mean cookies and candy bars. Sugar is found in so many of the processed foods we eat – so-called “healthy” snack bars, cereals, crackers, fruit juice (in the form of fructose), and yogurts
- Eat small and frequent meals.
- “Eat your veggies” – add a little bit of garlic, a dash of soy sauce – mmmm!
- When choosing a supplement (like a multi-vitamin) remember that all supplements are not created equally. They should have the GMP stamp on them and be chelated for proper break down and absorption. Consult a Nutritionist for further supplement recommendations
- Eat multiple meals throughout day
- Stop eating two hours prior to going to bed at night
- Pack lunch instead of eating out (pack it at night if mornings are too busy)
- Buy seasonal, locally grown fruits and vegetables as often as possible
- Turn the TV off during mealtimes (good conversation around the dinner table is a great way for everyone to unwind… and practice mindful eating)
- Eat fruits instead when tempted to eat sugary sweets
- Prepare meals ahead of time – fixing food for multiple days for the week reduces the likelihood of eating out or making less healthy choices
- Keep the nutrient density per calorie ratio as high as possible
- Give yourself a cheat meal or two each week
Stress Management / Mental Health
- Take deep breaths
- Believe in the power of positive thinking. Practice focusing on the positive in every situation
- Do yoga
- Meditate – Check our Empower’s Guided Mediation Class
- We shape ourselves by the relationships we hold in life. Surround yourself with a positive support structure. An obstacle is much easier to tackle with a strong team at your side.
- Focus on living in the present moment as much as possible
- Strive for 8 plus hours of sleep each day
- Don’t watch TV while trying to go to sleep
- Have a positive attitude- tell yourself you can do it!
- Write down your stressors to get them off your mind and onto paper – often then they seem less daunting and you can start to formulate a plan to conquer the issue
- Learn to let go (don’t sweat the small stuff)
- Create SMART goals
- Start low and go slow (Regarding the introduction of any lifestyle changes)
- Don’t keep it a secret; tell people close to you about the lifestyle changes you are trying to make so that they can hold you accountable
- Write down specific goals and put them in a place where I will see them everyday. A lot of times my goals will be my background on my cell phone
- Whatever the goal, be consistent
- Let an Empower expert help you create an individualized plan and motivate you toward your health and fitness goals for 2014! Get started TODAY – Sign up for your FREE Initial Session