Veggie Pumpkin Chili
- 2 Tbs canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 28 oz diced or crushed tomatoes (diced=chunks, crushed=creamier)
- 15 oz canned pumpkin
- 15 oz can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kernels from corn on the cob (no salt added)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot sauce (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot (you will make chili in this) on medium- high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the spices (chili powder and cumin), bell peppers, and carrots. Cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the pumpkin, tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, and water to the pot and bring everything to a simmer. Cover and cook on low-medium heat for about 30 minutes. Don’t allow the mixture to boil – you want to make sure it stays at a simmer for the most part. (otherwise it will burn to the bottom).
- With 5-10 minutes left add the hot sauce and the corn and stir and let it cook another 10 minutes.
- Enjoy it as is, add chopped up chicken, or put over rice or quinoa…whatever your heart (or stomach) desires!