It’s the beginning of the year and many of you are well under way with your new year’s resolutions. Hopefully those resolutions include health and wellness goals that will make you a much happier and healthier person and result in a true lifestyle change. Weight loss, as you may know, is one of the most common resolutions that folks have but it is also one of the hardest to stick with. However, if you are truly motivated to make a change and drop the pounds, you can do it. It helps though, if you have a few handy tips to help you along the way.
Here are a few suggestions from a recent USA Today article regarding healthy tips for successful weight loss. I’ve included some of the tips as well as a link to the article just in case you want to look at all of them. I think that there are a number of interesting points here that could make a big difference in one’s road to weight management success. Check it out!
Weight loss tips
1. Set a realistic weight-loss goal. Most experts recommend aiming for half a pound to 2 pounds a week
3. Motivate yourself. Get a pair of jeans or pants that are too tight and hang them in the kitchen instead of the closet to keep yourself inspired
5. Move it to lose it. Research shows that people who do physical activities such as walking or biking for two to four hours a week during weight-loss efforts lose an extra 3 to 5 pounds over a year.
8. Create “a dinner deck.” This would include 10 favorite quick and healthful dinners written on index cards. Each card should list the ingredients for the recipe on one side and directions for making it on the other.
23. Get plenty of sleep. Scientists have found that sleep deprivation increases levels of a hunger hormone and decreases levels of a hormone that makes you feel full. The effects may lead to overeating and weight gain.
Jamie Ives, MA, CSCS
Jamie has several years of experience in the fitness industry, working with clients of various ages, ability levels, and health conditions. He enjoys using his knowledge as well as his experience in exercise prescription and program design to help each of his clients reach their individual wellness goals and improve their quality of life. For more information about Empower Personal Training, please call (919) 401-8024