What is Pilates? It is an exercise system that focuses primarily on your core muscles. Very simply put it targets, the glutes, low back and your abdominal muscles. Pilates helps to strengthen ìcoreî abdominal muscles uniformly so that they support and balance your spine in order to maintain good posture. ìCoreî means inside or center. When the core of the body is not strong, the torso lacks the stability to move efficiently and with power.
Try these 4 exercises to see if you can benefit from Pilates’ exercises.
1. Can you hold a hip bridge for 1 minute with out getting a cramp in the back of your legs?Your bridgemust looklike a beautiful arc to pass the test with no cramping.
2. Can you curl up like a ball? Lie on your back, pull knees to chest and bring your forehead to your knees.
3. Can you hold a plank position and lift your heel towards the ceiling while keeping your hips level?
4. Can you do a “bicycle twist” placing your elbow on the inside of the knee for full torso rotation with shoulder 1 blade off the floor as you lift diagonally?
5. Can you hold1 leg up at 90 degrees while on your back with no knee bend?
If you answered no to just 1 of these you really should try Pilates training to build your strength and flexibility! Empower Personal Training believes strongly in the Pilates principles and has developed a class just for beginners. If you have never tried Pilates and have been intimidated to try you owe it to yourself to try our 4 week Intro Level Pilates Class with Connie Winstead. Connie is a compassionate instructor who gives excellent instruction to her students so they feel successful.
The class will meet beginning Wednesday March 31st at 5:30pm, and will run for 4 weeks. The cost is only $75. Call the studio at (919) 401-8024 or click here to reserve your spot today.
Kathleen has over 10 years of experience in the health and wellness field. She has worked with a variety of different populations including athletes, former athletes, seniors and overweight and obese clients. For more information about Kathleen and Empower Personal Training visit www.becomepowerful.com.